Alcalá de Henares

Alcalá de Henares

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sunny Saturday

Today was a perfectly sunny day.  The weather was stupendous.  I can't believe it's only January!  I decided to go shopping with friends in downtown Alcalá, and I went outside in my winter coat but had to come back to change into my spring coat because it was that warm.  No complaints here.

It was a fun afternoon of walking around downtown on La Calle Mayor.  The street is cobblestone and there were a lot of Spaniards out checking out all the "rebajas."  Before I went home, we stopped at a small café and I purchased my first gelato.  It was amazing and I will be getting more in the future.

When I got home we had lunch and talked about different traditions in Spain.  I guess on New Year's Eve they have a tradition that involves eating twelve grapes at midnight, one each time the bell tolls.  Yesterday I went to Madrid to the Plaza del Sol, which I guess is the equivalent to Times Square in NYC.  It's interesting to hear about the traditions that they have and also sharing with them some of our traditions.

Tonight I went out to Indola, the tapas bar, again for Tinto de Verano.  It was a fun night chatting with friends and making some new ones too.  We met some of the girls that spent last semester in Alcalá and they gave us some really helpful information and shared some funny stories.  I didn't stay out too late because I'm going to a birthday party with my family tomorrow because my host dad's dad is turning 89, so they are throwing a birthday party for him.  Should be interesting to say the least.  All my love to everyone back home.  Besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment