Alcalá de Henares

Alcalá de Henares

Monday, January 25, 2010

My books only cost $13 Euro for the semester?!

This morning I had a pleasant, and not so pleasant experience at the bookstore.  Well actually, it's not a bookstore, it's a place where they photocopy all the articles that the professors want, hardly a bookstore but you get my point.  I went in at 9:50, expecting it to take no time at all since I have a class at 10:30.  Man was I wrong.  Another lesson about Spanish culture.  They do things on their own sweet time.  Example: The woman behind the counter sipped her café con leche and talked with her co-workers for 10 minutes before even asking what I needed help with.  Then the book took forever to print.  But when it was done printing did she bind it right away?  Oh no, she continued with her conversation and sipped her coffee some more.  And then I needed another book printed, so we repeated the cycle.  Boo.  So needless to say, I was 10 minutes late to class, which I hate to admit.  But on the positive side, my books for the semester cost me around $23 U.S. dollars.  Not bad.

I've come to the conclusion that I should only go to one of my classes on Mondays and Wednesdays.  Kidding but no really.  Like I mentioned before, I have the same professor for both classes and he teaches the same material.  At least if I don't get it the first time, there's always a second chance in the next class!

After I got home I ate lunch and took a siesta.  Quick note about food: I forgot to mention yesterday that I ate my first fried egg yesterday?  You know the kind with the yellow gooeyness that spills out when you cut it.  I tried and it wasn't bad but I did tell my mom that I didn't really like it.  I don't think she'll make it for me again.  Phew.  I also had fish tonight, which was surprisingly good.  I saw Mr. Fish sitting out on the counter today, and I though "I sure hope you don't end up on my plate," but sure enough, he did and he was actually quite good.  But I don't know what I'm going to do when a siesta is not scheduled into my days.  I might have to keep that tradition.  After the siesta, I went to the mall with my friend Claire with all intentions of putting money on my phone since I'm less than 2 Euros until I'm out.  But I needed the little card that came in the box, which was conveniently located in my room at my house.  I'll just deal with it tomorrow I guess.  If my phone shuts off oh well, it's not like I get a lot of phone calls anyway.

But my friends and I are finally starting to make some travel arrangements and it sounds like a trip to Portugal is in order for some weekend in March.  Flights are about $50 roundtrip and the hostel that we are going to stay in is about $20 a night, and I think we'll be there for only 2 nights?  So just a little mini-vacation.  There's also talk of going to Italy for Spring Break or for a long weekend, and I'm all for that.  But it's 12:28 A.M. here, and I should probably go to bed because I have my wonderful Spanish grammar class at 9:00 A.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment