Alcalá de Henares

Alcalá de Henares

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 2

Day 2 in Spain was pretty good. I missed breakfast because I was catching up on the sleep that I missed from the previous day. We started out the morning with a meeting with our director Christina that lasted most of the morning. Just basic info and what not and I maybe caught half of it since it was of course, all in Spanish. After that we had lunch and I've discovered that food is a HUGE part of the culture here and I feel like I'm always eating! As I'm writing this blog, I'm eating these roasted almonds that we got from a covent yesterday. They're amazing.

After lunch I took my first "siesta" (nap) because I guess that's what Spaniards do after lunch. I'm all for this lifestyle! After la siesta, we received information about our host families! Finally! I'm living with a family of 4, dad, mom, and two sisters. They live in a "chalet" about 20 minutes walking from my university. They seem really nice and they looked pretty normal in the picture, so I can't wait to meet them tomorrow and start living with them (and unpack all my stuff).

I also had to take a test today to go over my Spanish skills, or maybe lack there of?, but I'm crossing my fingers that I did good. The big purchase of the day was a móvil, cell phone, for 19 Euros which included 12 Euros worth of calling and texting and a set of headphones? Random. It's not the iPhone but it will have to work.

For dinner I had some "Tinto de Verano" a recommendation from a friend back home. It was good but then I was told that we weren't supposed to order alcoholic beverages when we are with our program directors. My bad. That must have been some of the rules that I didn't understand during the meeting. Well it's past midnight and I have to get up early to get my stuff together so I can move in with my family tomorrow. I'm so excited and nervous at the same time, but seeing their picture and getting their information today definitely helped calm some of my fears. But tomorrow is the big day and I can't wait! All my love to you back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment