Alcalá de Henares

Alcalá de Henares

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Classes? Really?

So today was a day of more firsts, surprise surprise. I took my first bus ride on Bus #2 with my host mom and another student so we could find the University. I'm feeling pretty confident about the bus since I've taken it three times today, without my host mom, and haven't gotten lost yet! But there's a first time for everything. There's two other girls that live in my "barrio" (neighborhood) and we usually go together. Once it gets nicer we can walk to the University because it's cheaper and the weather will start to get nice in February! It's only 30 minutes so we'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it. But it's really nice to have someone to walk and talk with.

I also went to my first classes today. Well what I thought was my first class. I wanted to change my literature class to Spanish Women lit. because I heard it might be a little easier than Contemporary Spanish lit., which I am currently in. However, I sat in on the Intro to Spanish lit. class on accident (epic fail), and in the end, I've officially decided on Latin America lit. Please hear me out. I want to take the Latin American lit. over Spanish lit. (yes I know I am in Spain) because I love Latin American literature and many of my friends are in that class. So Latin American lit. it is. I know I will be taking a class comparing Spain and the US in social structure, politics, and culture and I'm excited for this class, even though I almost fell asleep today during the lecture. My bad. I also have a grammar class and I need to choose one more class to go with my International Studies major because the class I wanted was cancelled. Never a dull moment in Spain.


This evening we went to the house of Cervantes (author of Don Quixote) and it was pretty cool. We also went to a museum that had a lot of archeological stuff, so that was cool too. The city is so alive and beautiful and I finally started taking pictures, so I will have to add them later.

Tomorrow my class is off to Madrid for the day! My sister Christina informed me that the train station that I am taking has a monument honoring those who died in the terrorist attacks on Madrid because the bombers used the Alcalá train station to go out of. Speaking of my host sister, I'm going with her to "el centro" (mall) tomorrow night! Should be fun and I can't wait! Well time for bed because I have to get up early tomorrow but all my love to everyone back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment