Alcalá de Henares

Alcalá de Henares

Monday, March 1, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I ventured into my culinary skills, well baking skills I guess.  I made chocolate chip cookies on a Sunday morning because I was really craving them.  I can't say that it was a complete fail, however there are some things worth mentioning:

1.  Brown sugar here is more like cane sugar, or in a more natural form, which equals not as good cookies (darn).
2.  Cream of tartar is not a common ingredient here for baking, it's used with meats?
3.  Not all stores sell chocolate chips (what?!?!?!)  We had to go to a special grocery store, and the chocolate chips were subpar compared to Nestle Toll House/Hershey's Milk Chocolate/Ghirardelli/any kind of chocolate chips that we have in the U.S.
4.  Conversions from cups to grams is a pain.
5.  Using Google Translate to change the ingredients from English to Spanish saved my life.
6.  My host fam. enjoyed them and my host mom brought some over to her sister (I only know this because my friend Claire lives at this house and told me that my host mom had visited and had brought some over).  So I would say that it was a semi-successful venture.  One of the first things I will do when I get home is to make chocolate chip cookies, and eat the batter, and probably eat the whole batch for that matter.  Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment