Alcalá de Henares

Alcalá de Henares

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"Sabor a Chocolate"

After much internal conflict, I have joined the dreaded book club.  I need the extra credit.  The book that we read was called "Sabor a Chocolate" by José Carlos Carmona.  I bought the book on Tuesday night (fun fact: the book is 100% water resistant, so I can spill water on it all I want I guess), and was supposed to have it read by Wednesday at 4:00.  So, I began to read the book today (Wednesday) at 2:00.  The book was a fairly easy read, and I finished almost 100 pages in an hour and a half.  I can't say I'm exactly sure what the message of the book is, but I'm enjoying it and want to finish it.  It is a story about two people and how they were lovers, and how they ended up drifting apart, but how their worlds collided again?  At least that's what I got out of it.  My favorite part about the book is that it references many important historical dates, and shows how life continues to go on even amidst a times of war.  The author also carefully weaves in multiple stories, that create kind of a web with the center being the original two lovers.  After I'm done reading it I will look it up on Google just to see what the book is actually about because I could be all wrong.  I feel like I got most of the details, but then again it is in another language, so it's difficult to know all the time.

The big debate at the book club was how translators, even native speakers, do not know all of the grammar rules.  My director was explaining how as she was reading the book, it bothered her that some of the grammar was wrong.  However, I not being the native speaker, did not catch on to these mistakes and found the book quite interesting.  Which then sparked the discussion of what is more important, grammar free writing or the content of the book?  I'm going with content, although I do appreciate grammatically correct books.  My friends and I think Cristina is just being stylistic, as did some of the other professors.  I'm a little hesitant about the next book because it looks more challenging, but I figure it's a good way of practicing Spanish, so I'll probably go ahead and start reading it so I can actually have it finished by next Wednesday.  It was fascinating to hear Spaniards debating and discussing a book (and I actually could understand them), and as much as I thought I would hate it, I actually enjoyed myself.  Surprise surprise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment