Alcalá de Henares

Alcalá de Henares

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Los Calamaris y Zucchini

I started out today a little rough because I was up waaay too late last night trying to finish my paper for Latin American Lit.  The important thing is that it got done and my professor received it (which is a miracle since I have a Mac and it dislikes Word).  Last night's festivities included the LA paper, Sor Juana reading, Grammar composition, and Spain and the US reading exercises.  Most homework since I've been here.  But on a positive note, I got my first letter yesterday from Nate so that was exciting!  ¡Muchas gracias! (Yes I figured out how to do the upside down question mark finally)

Needless to say, I was not pleased when my alarm went off this morning.  And since I have to get up earlier on Tuesdays and Thursdays for my grammar class, I was in an extra good mood when I walked to class.  I didn't understand why when I got to my class finally, there was no one there.  Weird.  Class starts at 9:00 A.M. and after 10 minutes it's considered an absence (which is silly since Spaniards are usually not on time, but my prof is psycho about being punctual).  Most of my classmates get there right at 9, so I sat by myself for 10 minutes until I realized that something was wrong.

Yup, I definitely missed the memo that class was cancelled because my director/professor sent out a text message at 6:30 in the morning to inform us that class was cancelled because she was sick.  I never check my phone in the morning because I never get texts here and it was on silent (because my director will sometimes send us texts during class and I don't want to be the idiot scrambling to turn my phone off in my large bag during class), but I will for sure be checking my phone more often in hopes of discovering something sweet like this on Tuesdays and Thursdays!  It will probably never happen again, but I can dream big every once in awhile.

So I just chilled and did homework for an hour and a half until my next class, so it really wasn't too bad.  The crappy part is that she is requiring us to make up the class by having a tutoring session on our own time.  Fail.  That's the last thing I want to do during my free time, so tomorrow I have to come back to school at night to make up today's class.  Boo.

Today I took a 3 hour nap because siestas have been absent from my life lately.  The most interesting part of my day was definitely dinner or "La Cena."  The food for dinner today consisted of yup, you guessed it Calamari and Zucchini?

I thought I smelled fish from my room and I had to remind myself about having an open mind for whatever awaited me downstairs.  When I got into the kitchen, I saw the calamari on the stove.  I was hoping that it wouldn't appear on a plate before me.  No such luck.  I had a plate of it brought to me within 5 seconds of thinking that, and I explained how I've never had calamari before but I was willing to try it.  I knew I would like the zucchini because it was like what my mom makes at home, so no problems there.  It was an odd combination yes, but I have to say that I really did like it more than I thought I would and would eat it again.

Well that's it for today, life is rather dull with all this school stuff but it's still a lighter work load than at Hope so I'm not complaining.  The routine is getting set and I'm still loving being here, even though it's hard being away from all the comforts of home.  But I will be heading to Cadiz in a couple days and mid-60s awaits me and I couldn't be happier to be in a place with such awesome weather in February!

No comments:

Post a Comment