Alcalá de Henares

Alcalá de Henares

Thursday, February 4, 2010

¿El Correo o El Estanco?

The biggest problem I faced today was where to buy stamps for sending letters/post cards home.  I was told to go to the "Estanco" (tobacco store) because that's where my friend Kelsey bought some stamps.  Simple.  Rephrase, should have been simple.  Go there and tell the lady I need stamps for mail going to the U.S.  I believe the lady said that they didn't have any or something like that.  So I asked her where I could find such wonderful stamps since they didn't have any, and she said "El Correo" (post office).  Off to the post office I go, where I asked the same question.  The lady there said the "Estanco." Well which is it you impossible Spaniards?

I am bound and determined to find these stamps, and I'm positive the lady at the post office didn't understand my question.  I told my host mom what happened, and she called her friend who works at the post office and her friend said that you can get it taken care of at the post office.  I knew it!  Why would you not have stamps at the post office?

I've come to find that Spaniards, apart from my family and professors, are not entirely helpful.  Especially if you're American. I've gotten eyes rolled at me more times in the past month than in the past 10 years I think.  Oh well, just part of the experience I guess.

But back to the issue at hand, I guess the place to get stamps is the same place you get cigars, cigarettes, and bus passes.  I may never understand Spanish culture, but I'm learning and loving the process.  But tomorrow I'm off to Toledo with my class and I hear it's a beautiful city and I can't wait.  Another update on travel plans:  Booked my bus ticket to Cadiz for next weekend and also a plane ticket to Portugal for March.  And Segovia this Saturday!  Life couldn't be any better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment