Alcalá de Henares

Alcalá de Henares

Thursday, February 11, 2010

El Carnaval in Cadiz

It's finally the weekend!  Not that the week days are long here, and I love not having classes on Friday because it makes the week go by so so fast.  I'm leaving tonight and taking an 8 hour bus ride to Cadiz with my friend Nina.  I will get to Cadiz at 5:30 tomorrow morning, but we get to check in to our hotel when we get there so we can rest before going out.  Two of my friends from Albion are going as well, but they will be getting in at a more normal time because they are taking a later bus.  The weather forecast for the weekend shows rain for the whole weekend, which I hope is not the case.  But in case of rain, I have my rain coat and my umbrella, so I'm good to go even if it pours!

In other news, today was significant for two reasons.  One, I've been here for an entire month and cannot believe it!  Time has gone by so fast but at the same time, I feel like I've been here for a long time.  It's a little bizarre and I've done so much in a month, and the great thing is I have three more months to go!  Number two on the list of significant things about today is that I received my first grade in Spanish.  They do grading a little different here and everything is on a number scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest.  I got a 10 on my LA Lit. paper that I stayed up really late writing, and I was really pleased because getting a perfect grade here is so much more difficult than at home.

Overall, I'm enjoying my classes.  In my Lit class we are talking about Sor Juana, which luckily I have read some of her stuff before so it's a little bit of review.  In my Spain and the U.S. class we discussed the differences between the Spanish Civil War and the American Civil War, and I'm starting to realize just how little I know about the world and it's history.  I'm also realizing that my American history is a little rusty as well.  Grammar is grammar, no matter what part of the world you are in.  But I have to finish packing my backpack for the weekend.  All my love to everyone back home in the snow storms!  Have good weekends wherever you may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment