Alcalá de Henares

Alcalá de Henares

Monday, February 1, 2010

Another Mall?! My host sister has been holding out on me...

Yesterday I told my host sister that I wanted a small black purse that zips for day trips and going out to bars.  My clutch bulges when I jam my camera, my cell phone, house keys, bus pass, and money into it, so this really is a necessity.  So she told me that on Monday we would go to another mall because there is "something like Wal-Mart and it only has clothes" in the words of Christina.  And bonus, everything is super cheap!

Once again, I was reminded of how brutally honest Spanish people are and also how much Christina does not approve of my clothing choices.  We went to a store called "Blanco" and I found a dress that I really liked.  I tried it on and it fit perfectly, and I decided that I wanted to buy it.  When I showed her, I could tell that she didn't really like it.  Haha.  We also went to H&M and I showed her some of the flower hair accessories that I liked.  She tried to explain to me in English how people in Spain take their appearances very seriously, and only snotty people put flowers in their hair.  Needless to say, I will not be wearing my flower in my hair when I go out anymore.  Shoot.  I think the only thing that Christina approved of that I liked was the pair of flowered tights that I bought.

We also had an interesting drive to and from the mall because she drives a stick shift and doesn't like to drive on the highway.  My family has two cars, which I guess is uncommon in Spain because most families have only one car if that.  She was super scared as we drove to the mall and all the cars were passing us on the highway.  She was maybe going 40 mph?  But at least she is cautious.  It was funny to hear her saying some of the English slang as she drove, and I want her to teach me some phrases in Spanish so I can be cool like that too.

But all in all, it was a very fun trip because shopping for girls is universal.  I have to say that I don't really like Spanish fashion that much, but my host family seems to think so since I go to the mall all the time to look around.  I tried to explain that I do the same thing in the States, but they just think I'm obsessed with Spanish fashion?  But the "Rebajas" are ending soon, and homework is starting to pile up, so I guess my mall venturing is coming to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment