Alcalá de Henares

Alcalá de Henares

Monday, April 5, 2010

Time

I vowed to myself that I would do my Semana Santa experiences the day that I got back.  Epic fail.  I wrote down on a piece of paper most of what I did, but I can't bring myself to write the entire blog yet.  Sooo many amazing experiences with amazing friends both new and old.  I promise that I will write about it later this week as well as upload pics, but for now a little note about the theme of time since it has been on my mind lately.

It's funny how fast time passes.  I know I wrote about it before, or at least I think I did, but time has really gone by super fast.  I feel like this whole experience has been surreal at times.  Everywhere in Europe is literally a click away from my finger tips, and I believe that my many adventures have made my time here go by super fast.  I was talking with my host parents today, and they mentioned that I have about a month left.  I looked at the date on my computer and sure enough it says April 6.  In exactly one month, my parents and Nate will be in Alcalá de Henares, and I couldn't be happier knowing that they will be on their way soon enough.

But as I begin to think about their arrival, it is also highly bittersweet to think about the end of this time of my life.  I had to register for classes today, making it all so much more real that next semester is fast approaching.  Back to normal classes and back to Hope College.  I lucked out and have a pretty decent semester, really good hours for class, and am guaranteed a spot in a really cool class for the following Spring.  So it was a successful registration, by far most successful in my life, which is a proud accomplishment seeing as I'm half a world away (many thanks to Nate for helping sort out my classes for me as well).

But in terms of time, it also makes me realize how I will soon be moving on from my other home, my home at Hope.  I will be graduating in almost a year from now, and this is both an exciting and terrifying thought.  The real world.  Dun dun dun.  As much as I like to fool myself, I am not in the real world as a college student, and my time abroad has definitely proven this because I get to travel when I want, have my clothes washed for me, and have 5 meals, más o menos, a day prepared for me.  Definitely not the "real world."

It's hard to believe that in a little over a year, after about 18 years or so of being a student, I will finally put down my label as student and hopefully will be entering the world as a young professional or at least be able to obtain some sort of job.  It seems like just yesterday I was in elementary school, and it's fun to reminisce at times and it all goes back to what I said before: Time goes by so fast.  I'd like to end on this note.  Although my time here is almost done, there are so many more things that I want to do with this final month.  I want to be able to look back on my time in Spain and know that I did everything that I wanted to do and more.  I know that there is a reason why I am in Spain, and I can assure you that with each day I am learning and growing and becoming exactly the person that I am meant to be.  Some say that time changes everything.  However I ran across a Spanish phrase that I find appropriate: "El tiempo da buen consejo."  It means time gives good advice.  I know that with the passing of time, comes growth and for this, I am content in knowing that I am where I am supposed to be, and as I look down at the calendar on my computer, I can rest assure that the passing of time is a good thing.  A very good thing indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment