Alcalá de Henares

Alcalá de Henares

Saturday, May 1, 2010

The End of Semana Santa

Day 11: El fin

So we've finally come to the end of Semana Santa (thank goodness, my fingers are falling off from typing and re-typing things).

Today we spent our last day exploring Girona for a bit.  I have to say that I really did appreciate going here because it wasn't filled with tourists.  It was just a sleepy little town and we found a Cathedral and another church.  After the churches, we tried to find a Roman wall and climbed to the top.  The little path wound through the hill and I felt like the Von Tropp family, only Spanish version.  The hills were alive, but not with the sound of music.  They were alive with beautiful flowers and trees and every once in awhile, a colorful house would appear.  It was beautiful.  Very impressive.

After our adventure up the hill, we went back down (obviously) and found a little market where people were selling what looked like anything they could find in their houses.  I bought some old post cards of Girona because they were antique looking, kind of like the city.  I'm going to have to find a way to display all of the post cards that I have acquired throughout my trip!  I also found a Lola Café and decided to get a pick for Norm.  So here ya go Norm!

We had to head back to our hostel to collect our things and then head to the airport.  At the airport, we caved and got McDonald's, but hey there's not many options in an airport in our defense.  Our plane was a little late getting in, so we had to wait around.  In my boredom, I took a picture of my backpack that I lived in for the past week and a half.  It was definitely full and very heavy, and I was glad to finally be able to live out of a closet, not a suitcase.  I don't think I could fit another item in that backpack.  I'm just glad that it was never weighed because I think it would have exceeded the 10 kilogram limit.  But really, not another thing was going in that backpack.

Even though Semana Santa was possibly the best vacation of my life, I was glad to be going "home."  Because at "home" I knew that a clean room, fresh sheets, clean clothes, and a hot shower would be waiting for me.  And I was right.  This is what I came home to.  Wonderful host mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment